A NEW TILLER

Interested in wooden boats? Here's the place to go.
MOJO

A NEW TILLER

Postby MOJO » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:30 am

Hello all, I have just found this forum, and am looking for ideas on timber type for a laminated tiller. It will be about 50x50mm x 1.2mt. I have cut some strips of 6mm ash down and require a contrasting wood.The shape is a gentle S but will have a couple of quite tight radius"s What will bend nicely without steaming and is easily available? Many Thanks MO

jfc
Administrator

Re: A NEW TILLER

Postby jfc » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:40 am

Iroko is a good timber for boats . Most timbers will bend easy if they are thin enough , how thin do you want the laminations ?

I laminated this handle up without steaming but it took a few clamps

MOJO

Postby MOJO » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:58 am

Hi jfc, That's exactly what I am after, I thought 6mm strips was about right. Have you used a former to make yours? Can"t really see from the pics. Cascamite? PVA? EPOXY? POLY? glue any preference. I do have a bit of Iroko, but it is very pale. Any other ideas on timber type?

jfc
Administrator

Postby jfc » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:13 pm

Sorry i got confused when you said you had ripped 6mm strips down . Doesnt take alot to confuse me :lol:
I would use cascamite or extramite oneshot as i think its now called ( they change the name like the wind :roll: )
From memory i just put some screws into a board and bent the timber around those . Maybe do that so you get your shape and then slot a bit of pipe over the screws to stop them damaging the timber ? Or drill some holes for dowels and bend around those ?
Timber type would depend on the use i suppose . Salt water or fresh water etc ?
Your covering it in glue and varnishing it anyway .

MOJO

Postby MOJO » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:40 pm

Thanks for that, I "ll have a look around for timber. Good idea that, bending it around screws.

Return to “Wooden boats”