So then....

If you have something to say about the forum, then say it here...
DavidO
Site Admin
Posts: 1611
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: Port Toilet, South Wales, UK
Contact:

So then....

Postby DavidO » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:04 pm

We appear to have had quite a few 'issues' lately, and in the interests of openness and transparency, and also to prevent any one mod getting bogged down by dozens of PM's, I would like you to use this new section to give us your opinions on the forum - how it is run, what you would like to change, what you would like to see added and removed and also to discuss general problems that are not limited to a single thread.

This section is unlikely to remain as a permanent feature, but I don't want random moans to clutter up the rest of the site, so lets see if we can iron out a few problems and improve the forum and then this section can be therapeutically deleted.

Cheers.

mark270981
Subscriber
Posts: 2913
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:06 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield
Contact:

Re: So then....

Postby mark270981 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:15 pm

We need a naughty step

It's gone right off the charts and we are losing contributions from valuable members
--------------------------------------------------------------
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

woodsmith
Subscriber
Posts: 2029
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:02 am
Location: Shrewsbury
Contact:

Re: So then....

Postby woodsmith » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:22 pm

I think having an ignore member would help, at the moment subscribers can not ignore each other but i think that is because they also have mod functions rather than just being subscribers.

Perhaps the mod functions could be taken away from subscribers especially those on the naughty step because something needs to be done about the bickering which has got out of hand.
Keith

DavidO
Site Admin
Posts: 1611
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: Port Toilet, South Wales, UK
Contact:

Re: So then....

Postby DavidO » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:55 pm

Unfortunately the only way I can allow subscribers to 'ignore' people is to remove all mod powers from them. For the short term, this is what I have done, but I am looking into ways around this with Jason and Andy.

So as of now, everyone should be able to ignore anyone (except Jason, Andy and Myself :twisted:)

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber
Posts: 4798
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:27 pm
Location: Oop North where it rains
Contact:

Re: So then....

Postby thatsnotafestool » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:59 pm

davyowen wrote:Unfortunately the only way I can allow subscribers to 'ignore' people is to remove all mod powers from them. For the short term, this is what I have done, but I am looking into ways around this with Jason and Andy.

So as of now, everyone should be able to ignore anyone (except Jason, Andy and Myself :twisted:)


That's excellent news, Davy, thanks.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

mrgrimsdale
Incredibly Regular Poster
Posts: 6901
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:02 pm

Re: So then....

Postby mrgrimsdale » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:14 pm

More positive action over belligerent and abusive posts. Sometimes it doesn't matter too much and we can answer back but at other times it spreads like a virus and a lot of people get pissed off.
There seem to have been too many occasions where things have been allowed to deteriorate instead of being nipped in the bud, by banning if necessary. A temporary ban to start with, just to make the point.
Perhaps talk to the mods over there, where it has to be said, things are a lot more peaceful, even when I'm burbling my sort of irritating nonsense!
What about having a few more mods?

DavidO
Site Admin
Posts: 1611
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: Port Toilet, South Wales, UK
Contact:

Re: So then....

Postby DavidO » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:23 pm

As I alluded to in the other thread, if any more personal insults are thrown about between the 'usual suspects' then they will get a 1 week ban without warning. Just remember it applies to you aswell though Jacob.

mattty
Subscriber
Posts: 1978
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:21 pm
Contact:

Re: So then....

Postby mattty » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:39 pm

I think Andy and Davy are both great, it's just Jas who's a c*ck :lol: Only Joking Jas.
I'm glad you are getting to grips with this fella's, please can i be a Mod? I'd be dead good honest..
Cheers, Matt.

modernist
Subscriber
Posts: 5085
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:31 pm
Location: Crich, Matlock
Contact:

Re: So then....

Postby modernist » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:50 pm

I think all forums reach this point. At the beginning everyone is posting woody stuff and getting to know people but you reach a point where is starts to be a bit cliquey and new arrivals are not made sufficiently welcome. Personal battles then become more frequent and the main subject suffers.

I'm glad you've taken some action Davy and I hope it has the desired effect as it would be a great pity to lose the only decent forum on the net.

I was going to suggest that another approach would be to ignore all inappropriate posts until the poster got bored and shuffled off elsewhere but this seems a better idea. I'm not for banning unless the circumstances are extreme as you all are too.

I've posted some woody work to start to get us back on track. No doubt Doug will tell me where I could have done better (or he'll think it at least :lol: )
Cheers

Brian


Tune in, turn on with Scandi Modern, it's fab.

Visit my blog at http://modernistmullings.blogspot.co.uk

User avatar
jonnyd
Subscriber
Posts: 3264
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:07 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:

Re: So then....

Postby jonnyd » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:40 pm

I agree with what Brian says.

Its good to see a bit of action to try to revert the self destruct button that has been pressed. Basically there really is no problem apart from 2 old blokes that can't get on constantly wind each other up.

Cheers

Jon
For the latest from the workshop follow on twitter @JonnysWorkshop
Pics from the workshop on Instagram @jonnydburn

mrgrimsdale
Incredibly Regular Poster
Posts: 6901
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:02 pm

Re: So then....

Postby mrgrimsdale » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:53 pm

davyowen wrote:As I alluded to in the other thread, if any more personal insults are thrown about between the 'usual suspects' then they will get a 1 week ban without warning. Just remember it applies to you aswell though Jacob.

All right, all right, I've been banned before you know!
Seems simplest option and saves everybody a lot of bother. No PMs, no arguments, just a (painless) slap on the wrist.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but..... :roll:

jake
Subscriber
Posts: 2743
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:23 pm
Contact:

Re: So then....

Postby jake » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:21 pm

jonnyd wrote:I agree with what Brian says.

Its good to see a bit of action to try to revert the self destruct button that has been pressed. Basically there really is no problem apart from 2 old blokes that can't get on constantly wind each other up.


And a thug who seems to have the mods' blessing to use PMs to intimate threats of violence but never mind that.

User avatar
jonnyd
Subscriber
Posts: 3264
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:07 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:

Re: So then....

Postby jonnyd » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:40 pm

jake wrote:
jonnyd wrote:I agree with what Brian says.

Its good to see a bit of action to try to revert the self destruct button that has been pressed. Basically there really is no problem apart from 2 old blokes that can't get on constantly wind each other up.


And a thug who seems to have the mods' blessing to use PMs to intimate threats of violence but never mind that.


So its ok for you to make personal attacks?
For the latest from the workshop follow on twitter @JonnysWorkshop
Pics from the workshop on Instagram @jonnydburn

jake
Subscriber
Posts: 2743
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:23 pm
Contact:

Re: So then....

Postby jake » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:43 pm

jonnyd wrote:
jake wrote:
jonnyd wrote:I agree with what Brian says.

Its good to see a bit of action to try to revert the self destruct button that has been pressed. Basically there really is no problem apart from 2 old blokes that can't get on constantly wind each other up.


And a thug who seems to have the mods' blessing to use PMs to intimate threats of violence but never mind that.


So its ok for you to make personal attacks?


It is as factual as your "2 old blokes who .. wind each other up".

And it's the pachyderm in the deleted room.

mrgrimsdale
Incredibly Regular Poster
Posts: 6901
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:02 pm

Re: So then....

Postby mrgrimsdale » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:04 pm

pachyderm in the deleted room :lol: can be heard still crashing through the undergrowth!

User avatar
Andys Woodshed
Administrator
Posts: 1531
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:33 pm
Contact:

Re: So then....

Postby Andys Woodshed » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:58 am

jake wrote:
And a thug who seems to have the mods' blessing to use PMs to intimate threats of violence...


In your opinion..........

User avatar
Doug
Subscriber
Posts: 2513
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:52 pm
Location: location location
Contact:

Re: So then....

Postby Doug » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:37 am

Andys Woodshed wrote:
jake wrote:
And a thug who seems to have the mods' blessing to use PMs to intimate threats of violence...


In your opinion..........



& the opinion of others.

tusses
Subscriber
Posts: 3484
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 11:06 pm
Contact:

Re: So then....

Postby tusses » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:41 am

Doug wrote:
Andys Woodshed wrote:
jake wrote:
And a thug who seems to have the mods' blessing to use PMs to intimate threats of violence...


In your opinion..........



& the opinion of others.


and other others

jrm
Subscriber
Posts: 653
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:16 pm
Location: Lancashire
Contact:

Re: So then....

Postby jrm » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:59 am

The 'pachyderm in the room' is that our resident supertroll joins this thread posing as a victim. Regarding the AK thing, if that was a real pub, and some ignorant twerp was sat there taking a rise out of someone, not many would be overly sympathetic if he were subsequently threatened with a battering if he didn't shut up. I'm not condoning violence but there is a defence of provocation. I can't recall much falling out between others on here or elsewhere. There is a common denominator. We all know this. On this occasion, Roger over-reacted because he was asking for advice on how to achieve a level surface and has to suffer an endless lecture on why he doesn't need one. It's just the same formulaic response and adds nothing whatsoever (trad is best, new planes are rubbish, you need redwood for that, rounded bevels are best, blah blah blah). A bad situation is then made worse by the usual sycophants weighing in. The answer, of course, is to just starve the troll of oxygen but it can be very difficult at times, particularly if he is posting dangerous or misleading advice as is so often the case.

John

andrewking
Subscriber
Posts: 515
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:56 pm
Location: North Somerset
Contact:

Re: So then....

Postby andrewking » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:11 am

My only comment on this is that if lies were not posted in the first instance, and followed up with a few more on another thread, then it would not have escalated like it did.

mrgrimsdale
Incredibly Regular Poster
Posts: 6901
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:02 pm

Re: So then....

Postby mrgrimsdale » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:13 am

I've had enough of this bollox. OK I concede victory to King Kong, JRM, tnaft and all the other obnoxious sh|theads.
Mods please delete my membership and give a permanent ban.

User avatar
johnboy
Subscriber
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:18 am
Location: Rochford, Essex

Re: So then....

Postby johnboy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:31 am

I have kept out of all this as I generally just lurk to learn from the pros on here and only post if I have something to add (not very often!!)

As JRM states there is a common factor in all these spats on here and the other place which is Jacob. It is a pity as he obviously has extensive experience and a lot to offer the forum's members.

A reply like his above in which he says "OK I concede victory to King Kong, JRM, tnaft and all the other obnoxious sh|theads." says it all though.

Back to lurking.

John

modernist
Subscriber
Posts: 5085
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:31 pm
Location: Crich, Matlock
Contact:

Re: So then....

Postby modernist » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:13 am

johnboy wrote:
Back to lurking.

John


Unfortunately you are not alone.
Cheers

Brian


Tune in, turn on with Scandi Modern, it's fab.

Visit my blog at http://modernistmullings.blogspot.co.uk

mark270981
Subscriber
Posts: 2913
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:06 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield
Contact:

Re: So then....

Postby mark270981 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:33 am

well it seems the mods have done what they said they were going to do...................................I always took jacob with a pinch of salt but new members perhaps wouldn't post for fear of being reprimanded.
--------------------------------------------------------------
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

User avatar
nickw
Subscriber
Posts: 2021
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:09 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: So then....

Postby nickw » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:52 am

Could we have a smite button? It could even be that if a post that gets more than a certain number of smites the mods might consider the author for a reprimand of some sort.
Nick Webb, Fine Furniture, Cambridge
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Banjamin Franklin

hammertime
Subscriber
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:06 am
Contact:

Re: So then....

Postby hammertime » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:57 am

I've only just recently signed up but think I'll miss Jacobs input :-| I lurked for about 2 months before joining cause I think it took that long to see past all the recent bickering. The thing that swung it was reading through alot of the older threads where there seemed much friendly banter ;-)

User avatar
Andys Woodshed
Administrator
Posts: 1531
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:33 pm
Contact:

Re: So then....

Postby Andys Woodshed » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:32 am

Doug wrote:
Andys Woodshed wrote:
jake wrote:
And a thug who seems to have the mods' blessing to use PMs to intimate threats of violence...


In your opinion..........



& the opinion of others.


Based on Jacobs version and what he selectively choose to publish

User avatar
Doug
Subscriber
Posts: 2513
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:52 pm
Location: location location
Contact:

Re: So then....

Postby Doug » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:00 am

Andys Woodshed wrote:
Based on Jacobs version and what he selectively choose to publish



& in the second PM Jacob published Andy King stated he didn`t care if Jacob posted it on the forum, or are you saying Jacob made up the PM`s

Interestingly Jase has since said the phone calls that lead to the pulling of that thread were not from Andy King, so presumably the thread was pulled because a third party was up set on Andy Kings behalf.

jfc
Administrator
Posts: 10637
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:39 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: So then....

Postby jfc » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:16 am

No phone calls led to the pulling of any thread . I pulled the thread because it was pathetic bickering and i posted a warning i was going to remove it . Jacob replied with more pathetic bickering so i removed it .
I said i had phone calls about the bickering on the forum and i have had more calls since . Nothing to do with who is who or who isnt . The phone calls have nothing to do with any threads getting removed .
No formal complaint has been made to the moderators other than about the bickering .
If a member wishes to listen to he said she said bickering and act upon that then that is up to them but until a formal complaint is made to the moderators then we can not act on it as it isnt proof of wrong doing .

modernist
Subscriber
Posts: 5085
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:31 pm
Location: Crich, Matlock
Contact:

Re: So then....

Postby modernist » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:56 am

Andy King has posted about 500 times since 2007 and no doubt has considerable knowledge of his subject.

Jacob has posted almost 7000 times in a similar period.

Whilst he made a blood sport out of winding certain people up we will never know how many others, both members and lurkers were positively influenced by his contribution. As I've said before the occasions where his opinion was factually wrong were very few and he regularly brought an alternative view into discussion which often proved to have more to it than first met the eye.

No winners IMHO but quite a few losers.

Lets see just how rivetting some of these (now unhindered) threads will be?
Cheers

Brian


Tune in, turn on with Scandi Modern, it's fab.

Visit my blog at http://modernistmullings.blogspot.co.uk

jfc
Administrator
Posts: 10637
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:39 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: So then....

Postby jfc » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:50 pm

modernist wrote:Andy King has posted about 500 times since 2007 and no doubt has considerable knowledge of his subject.

Jacob has posted almost 7000 times in a similar period.

Whilst he made a blood sport out of winding certain people up we will never know how many others, both members and lurkers were positively influenced by his contribution. As I've said before the occasions where his opinion was factually wrong were very few and he regularly brought an alternative view into discussion which often proved to have more to it than first met the eye.

No winners IMHO but quite a few losers.

Lets see just how rivetting some of these (now unhindered) threads will be?



All his own doing as far as we are concerned . Jacob has been asking us to ban him for a few weeks now . No idea why , i guess he wanted it as a trophy or something but we had no reason to ban him even thougth some of his comments to me where rude , obnoxious and aimed at my personal life . I figured he was just a nastly little pr*ck and brushed it off .
He has been told many times that he was welcome to leave but decided not to and instead carried on trying to spoil the forum .

tusses
Subscriber
Posts: 3484
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 11:06 pm
Contact:

Re: So then....

Postby tusses » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:03 pm

just some observations from me..

I thinks it's a bit spoiled at the mo, and I dont see it as being down to Jacob.

Jacob has been constant / always the same, as far as I could see, since I can remember.
This forum has been the best place to be for a long time, and Jacob has been here regularly posting. so he can't have been that bad !

I've never seen it as a bad thing, just the way he is.
Definitely not offensive or abusive ?

jfc
Administrator
Posts: 10637
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:39 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: So then....

Postby jfc » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:08 pm

tusses wrote:just some observations from me..

I thinks it's a bit spoiled at the mo, and I dont see it as being down to Jacob.

Jacob has been constant / always the same, as far as I could see, since I can remember.
This forum has been the best place to be for a long time, and Jacob has been here regularly posting. so he can't have been that bad !

I've never seen it as a bad thing, just the way he is.
Definitely not offensive or abusive ?



That is why we had no reason to ban him .

OryxDesign
Subscriber
Posts: 343
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:51 pm
Location: Staplehurst
Contact:

Re: So then....

Postby OryxDesign » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:15 pm

I'm with you tusses as well as the others.

Jacob has always been the same, he has his views , he's entitled to them, if you don't like them don't read them. He is clearly very well read and often has a different approach which for me is thought provoking. He is passionate about woodwork and wants others to get on with making stuff. I'm sure he bears no malice and I'm sure he is frustrated.


Return to “Forum suggestions/comments/complaints”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest