Feeling Lucky ! Finished

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
bloonose
Occasional Poster

Feeling Lucky ! Finished

Postby bloonose » Tue May 23, 2017 1:20 pm

So, for some time I have been trying to get back to making furniture again rather than refurbishing properties and after a chance conversation have managed to secure the "free" :o use of a workshop inc the use of all the equipment in it. Its all old school gear with the newest machines being around 20 yr old Sedgewicks all 3 phase. I had just bought a 2nd hand Elektra Beckum PKF255 V8 which I'm going to install in it as the saws there is a big rip and a slightly smaller Wadkin with mitre slot. The EB has a scoring blade and sliding panel so think I'll use that more and easier then the big beast TA450 or other Wadkin.

The workshop has not been used for years, lots of cobwebs and sawdust, but wont take much to get it cleaned up. Cant see me needing the wall saw, tenoner or radial arm saw, but the morso might come in handy and been a while since I used a mortiser ( domino for me ). I just bought about 8 cube of Elm and have plans drawn up to make a few bits with it to get my hand back in, so to speak. Surgery on my hand seems to happen every 6 months, but the end is in sight for that, and now have a reasonable grip back !

A few pics

Feeling very pleased and lucky to get this and looking forward to starting soon... :D

tusses
Subscriber

Re: Feeling Lucky !

Postby tusses » Tue May 23, 2017 1:43 pm

very nice on all counts ! :-D

houtslager
Subscriber

Postby houtslager » Fri May 26, 2017 6:33 pm

jammy bugger, any chance of popping by and getting a brew while talking over using your rip saw ???

K
You name it, I'll butcher it.

houtslager
Subscriber

Postby houtslager » Fri May 26, 2017 6:34 pm

bugger going blind tooo, just noticed this thread is nearly 10 yrs old DOH !
You name it, I'll butcher it.

JonR
Occasional Poster

Postby JonR » Fri May 26, 2017 8:18 pm

Blind no doubt about that ;)
Its was posted 23/5/2017 not 2007

Specsavers for you Sir!

JonR
Occasional Poster

Postby JonR » Fri May 26, 2017 8:27 pm

Whats the story with shop sitting idle Bluenose, im a nosey bugger sry :mrgreen:

bloonose
Occasional Poster

Postby bloonose » Sat May 27, 2017 10:19 am

It belongs to a friend of my BIL, and he mentioned when round at dinner some time ago what I did. He owns a building firm, used to do homes but now build industrial stuff. The workshop is attached to the offices they have, but they dont use any more due to sub contracting labour etc. It gets used by a old school joiner type guy, who I met, once in a blue moon and has been going to waste. I expected to pay even a small sum, but guy wont take anything, not even paying for electricity :o ... If things work out then I expect to pay something but dudes who drive Mclarens dont really need £50 here and there. Think nice live edge coffee table is on the cards as a thank you, seems he was quoted £3k for one and thought a bit steep :lol:

Old joiner has all the stuff for machines, blades bits and so on, asked him about the planer blades being chipped and how I'd buy a new set, he then produced a set from a drawer, but then said he would sharpen the ones in the machine. He then got out some router type thing from a box which has a grinding wheel on it and said he does it while blades still in machine after adjusting them up a few mm. Not seen one of those before and would love to see it done, but he comes in at 6am some days and I'm still in land of nod at that time :roll:

Everything needs a bit of a clean and set up, but dropped off the panel saw I bought which is on lockable castors as the other 2 saws are not really right for what I do. Hope to be making in a few weeks :D :D :D

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Mon May 29, 2017 7:52 am

What a great opportunity! Some nice kit there and looks like loads of space too. Well done!

bloonose
Occasional Poster

Re: Feeling Lucky ! Updated

Postby bloonose » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:04 pm

Managed to get the saw built yesterday along with a bit of tidying, so today had a bit of a play about with things.

Bad news was big rip saw blade blunt as blunt can be, so will need to send off one of the many blades for a sharpen.

The PT blades are all chipped and blunt so need to get that sorted, been some time since I did a blade change, will take ne ages to do that if the Old boy does not pop in to do the sharpen in situ soon.

The little Dewalt bandsaw I forgot about was working very well and quite a few spare blades were found in different sizes. I had thought about buying a Jigsaw for the little curved work that I've done in the past, but expect the BS will be better. Need a pillar drill, the only thing that does not appear to be available and the huge extractor with bags about 4ft high will take a while to fill 8-)

So did a bit of ripping with the TS55 to give me one straight edge, and made good progress with the new saw getting all the timber ready for PTing, to make a live edge coffee table going to insert some butterfly dovetails, seems very trendy at the moment :geek: (bookmatched top pic below) and a small whisky wall cabinet. There may be enough for a console too, but wood was twisting and moving when cut and had some cracks I was not willing to leave. Forgot how bad Elm was for that and how much, therefore, waste there is.

The PT only has about 300mm wide table so think Ill be used that router technique to flatten the top boards.

Really enjoying making again, been about 7yrs since I last did anything like this :cry:

Imageupload image

Imageimage url

Imageimage ru

Imagefree upload

jake
Subscriber

Postby jake » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:40 pm

Landed on your feet there! Great stuff, must be really exciting.

Love the elm, going to make a lovely top.

Carthorse legs (old joke) squashed flat not so much a fan thing for me, but tastes are personal etc. At least it doesn't have handles..

bloonose
Occasional Poster

Postby bloonose » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:04 pm

So, only getting in for about 4 hrs at a time and most of it has been taken up with sorting the planer and so forth. Dont think its quite right yet, need brand new blades methinks then an accurate set up. Still managed to plane up the waney edged boards after deciding to reduce the width to let them be planed on the machine rather than the router method. Brought in the domino to help with alignment and will use to attach shelf which will have 2 live edges. The leg stretcher will be attached with dovetails, need to add some nice detail ;) and the taper I used removed a few defects which appeared during planing. Got an offcut of Walnut kitchen worktop which I'm going to rip to make a few butterflies for the tops joint, does not need them but decorative effect nice. Progress is going as expected after a long long absence doing any woodwork, but surgeon wants me back for another op in a few weeks so expect these few items will be as much as I'll get done for a few months again :cry:

Nice spalted effect on the edge, pic not so great showing it..

bloonose
Occasional Poster

Postby bloonose » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:07 pm

Cut a few dovetails today

Neil_C
Subscriber

Postby Neil_C » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:00 pm

You've fallen on your feet there and what a lot of space.
Cheers,

Neil

bloonose
Occasional Poster

Postby bloonose » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:25 pm

Indeed I have, few pics from today, close to finish line... This should really be in projects section !!!

bloonose
Occasional Poster

Re: Feeling Lucky ! Finished

Postby bloonose » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:34 pm

All done, bar a few extra coats to go on over the weekend. Need to design something for the rest of the timber as it would not stretch to the thing I had prepared.

thanks for looking and comments ;)

Roger-M
Subscriber

Postby Roger-M » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:21 pm

That's looking great. Bet it weighs a ton.
Cheers, Roger

bloonose
Occasional Poster

Postby bloonose » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:04 am

Its actually quite light Rodger, its only 1200 x 600ish mm, most of timber is 32mm.

Thanks for all comments

Need to find some more wood :geek:

JonR
Occasional Poster

Postby JonR » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:52 pm

My lad has a load of Swiss pear slabs in storage that he was meant to be doing that kind of work with but as yet nadda has been made with it, i will show him your piece and maybe it will get his enthusiasm going.

Nice job btw :D

jake
Subscriber

Postby jake » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:42 pm

Lovely work, love the top and dovetails keys even if a bit gratuitous are so nicely done!

Don't like the handles though

jfc
Administrator

Postby jfc » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:04 pm

That's pretty !

Return to “Woodworking”