Church Notice Board

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
rosinante

Church Notice Board

Postby rosinante » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:02 am

Hi all,
I have been asked to make a church notice board ,this is not a paying job just my bit for the village . Rough dimensions have been given and the rest is up to me , can anyone advise as to best construction methods and materials , I have told the church that materials need to be a good quality hardwood and marine ply for the back , would it be best to use tempered glass or polycarbonate, the likelihood of vandalism is very small , also any tips on rain shedding ,ventilation or lighting ( thinking led,solar etc) although that might be a step too far, the location will be south facing.
The mounting will be onto nominal 3 X 3 ins hardwood posts set in the ground, that is by others, any help gratefully recieved,
I have the equipment in the garage unfortunately my head is not as well equipped
Thanks
Chris

tusses
Subscriber

Re: Church Notice Board

Postby tusses » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:49 pm

Pressure treated softwood, will be cheaper than hardwood. at least for the posts ?
I'd go for laminated glass over tempered. It's cheaper, and doesn't make a mess if it get broken.
Most notice boards I've seen are very simple things.

rosinante

Postby rosinante » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:14 pm

Hi price of materials is not really an issue , longevity is , the items for sale range from 1000 to 1500 pounds so it will be a massive saving anyway,
Chris

jfc
Administrator

Postby jfc » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:11 pm

The ones i have done have been in Sapele . Mainly because it matches the plywood backing better than oak would .

rosinante

Postby rosinante » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:14 pm

Thanks for that , I will match plywood to timber , a visit to merchants soon , awaiting the materials payment up front ,
Cheers

Return to “Woodworking”