Help a newbie assemble a workshop

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
pharmerwood

Help a newbie assemble a workshop

Post by pharmerwood » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:46 am

Good Morning Gents,

As with a lot of people, Mr Nick Offerman from Parks and Recreation has sparked an interest in me to start woodworking. Now I'm quite handy around the house but don't really own the correct tools. My first project that I've chosen will be to get two 5 ft pieces of white oak. Sand them down, glue them together, coat them and stick some metal legs on them. Now obviously I'd rather not go all out spending loads of money till I know for sure this is a hobby I want to take very seriously. So a few questions.

Is a workmate bench by black and decker sufficient for a noob like me? Or I needn't bother unless I can work on a proper table.

Also, I can pick up a Bosch PSM 80 sander off my dad to this project with, is that an appropriate sander for woodworking?

What other tools do you anticipate I will need?

This is a link to the project I want to replicate:

http://imgur.com/a/eUTDM

Thank you gentlemen

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Re: Help a newbie assemble a workshop

Post by Meccarroll » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:45 am

If I was you (having few tools) I'd be looking to purchase pre-planed kiln dried, timber. When you place the order, make sure you ask for it to be trued up and all edges planed square. Ask the merchant to make sure two edges are aligned for gluing together and ask him to mark them for you. Also ask for kiln dried timber.

So assuming you have your timber you now want to glue it together. I'd suggest Cascamite glue, which comes in powder form, mix it with water until it reaches a thick creamy consistency and let it stand for a couple of minutes then apply to the edge. The glue is very strong but most people would still strengthen the glue joint between the wood using biscuits or a loose tong glued in. Another method is to use dowels which can be aligned with a dowel jig and a drill with bits for the dowels.

You will need to clamp the wood together while the glue goes off so you will need some cramps (probably at least four).

Sanding can be done with virtually any sander just start off with a corse grit of say 80 grit at the area of the joint first, once you have the joint flat on the surface work your way through the grits gradually getting finer until you finishing off by hand at say 320 grit before dusting off and applying a finish.

There is a lot more you can do than just the above and a lot more tools would be handy but it's enough to get you started.

In summary I'd say you will need at least:

Dad's sander
Cramps
Drill & bits (for dowels)
Dowel jig (basic for locating dowels)
Glue
Abrasive paper (Quality paper NOT SANDPAPER)

Mark

knot competent

Post by knot competent » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:27 pm

To be honest, you sound as if you could do with a little practical assistance, and maybe some experience alongside someone with more experience and more tools than you. I'm sure someone would offer you a hand, if only we knew where on earth you were!

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Post by davidpidge » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:40 pm

A workmate won't be big enough. Just build your own workbench as thats a good first project anyway. Some 4x2 and mdf/ply and some screws/coach bolts.
You're going to need a drill/driver and some clamps for nearly project.