Cutting list software recommendations

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Cutting list software recommendations

Post by davidpidge » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:32 pm

I don't need anything fancy. I just want some software or app to work out a cutting list from plywood/mdf for carcasses. I put in all the panel sizes and grain direction and it optimists the cutting list.
I've found various apps on the play store that all have bad reviews. The online one's seem OK but I would prefer a downloadable version.
so far watched videos on this http://www.maxcutsoftware.com/ which has a free version and
this... https://cutlistplus.com/ which is $89 for even the basic version which is limited to 50 parts per project.

Is there anything on sketchup pro that does this? If so I'll finally pay for it!

Oakfield
Subscriber

Re: Cutting list software recommendations

Post by Oakfield » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:09 am

I think there is a free plugin available on the free sketchup. I'm away from home at the moment so can't check it but think it's called cultist or something.
I downloaded it but still just do it the old fashioned way. I find I can do it better!

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Post by davidpidge » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:06 am

Cheers. I've installed cutlist but its not working properly. I'll check settings and watch a tutorial. Good in theory as i can just select carcass components from the model and run it which is ideal but there's no allowance for grain direction. Maybe i need to stop being so tight and just pay for something!

Roger-M
Subscriber

Post by Roger-M » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:18 pm

David - I have used Maxcut2 and it's not at all bad for a downloadable freebie. My favourite though is Smart2DCutting. You can download the full version and try for free for I think 28 days, but thereafter unless you pay you are limited to 30 components. In the end I decided to grasp the nettle and pay for it and it's been invaluable. I reckon it's paid for itself even for a hobbyist like me, and I find it far more intuitive to use than the web based freebies.
Cheers, Roger

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Post by davidpidge » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:44 pm

Excellent tanks Roger. I will give the free trial a go. The 'up to 1000 parts' version is 110Euro which may be ok if it does what I need!

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Post by davidpidge » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:58 pm

Roger-M wrote:David - I have used Maxcut2 and it's not at all bad for a downloadable freebie. My favourite though is Smart2DCutting.
On first impressions it seems very good. Seems like it will be quick once materials library is set up etc.
More importantly, the cut list plug in for Sketchup that I downloaded can export a cut list in Excel which can be imported into smart2Dcutting so you don't have to input very components dimensions.

Roger-M
Subscriber

Post by Roger-M » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:11 pm

Don't go getting all technical with me! :lol:
Cheers, Roger