Bandsaw blade wobble

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
Sossukuk

Bandsaw blade wobble

Post by Sossukuk » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:30 pm

Hi everyone,
I’m new to woodworking as a hobby. I recently bought a record power bs 250 band saw. I am having problems with blade wobble. Looking at the front of the blade it wobbles so that it looks like the back end or front end goes left and right for a part of the blade rotation. I bought a blade from tuffsaws. I have seen a few videos on this. Some say this is to do with blade position on the wheel. I have tried moving the tracking, tension, and bearings. I just cant seem to get a smoothish cut. I expect some sanding but it cut has a look of corduroy fabric. I have tried 6 higher tip blades.
Any tips hints or advise would be appreciated. I am trending to make bandsaw boxes.
Many thanks
Paul

Roger-M
Subscriber

Re: Bandsaw blade wobble

Post by Roger-M » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:20 pm

Welcome to the forum. The blade from Tuffsaws will almost certainly not be the problem. Was this a new saw? If s/h check the wheels for debris like a build up of pitch. Check the thrust bearings top and bottom to make sure they are not touching the blade at any point in the rotation of the blade. Adjust as necessary. Check for play in the wheels. Check blade tension. As a guide, you should be able to shift the blade by about 1/4" with pressure from one finger. This YouTube video is quite informative.

If this doesn't resolve the problems and the saw was new, reject it under warranty. HTH.
Cheers, Roger

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Re: Bandsaw blade wobble

Post by thatsnotafestool » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:13 am

You could also check out Steve Maskery's excellent DVD on setting up a bandsaw www.workshopessentials.co.uk
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche