Looking for new van suggestion

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
simuk
Subscriber

Looking for new van suggestion

Post by simuk » Sat May 05, 2018 9:25 pm

My old rust bucket transit has now been declared well and truly dead so I need a new van.
At the moment looking for swb medium or high top.

I have always had Transits and Transporters should I be looking at something different? Any suggestion comments appreciated

Simon

woodsmith
Subscriber

Re: Looking for new van suggestion

Post by woodsmith » Sun May 06, 2018 7:35 am

If you are not going to be using it for long runs I would look to get an older van without all the emission kit. A friend has a new Vivaro and it has been in and out of the garage with a clogged up EGR valve dispite the fact he doesn't do short runs in it and this seems to be a common problem with the latest engines. The new Transit is supposed to be very easy to break into too. I've got a 58 plate LWB Vivaro and it has been great.
Keith

JonR
Occasional Poster

Post by JonR » Sun May 06, 2018 8:55 am

I have had my 2014 FWD MWB Transit 290 Trend for 16 months now and love it but shortly after gdtting it I started reading about how easy they are go break into but it seems all vehicals are with the right kit!! I have upgraded the drivers side barrel for the Hykee replock with a tapered bezel and put a rear door lock on, I still have side door and passenger doors to upgrade. There is a security update to get done by Ford for certain years to do with the central locking do check on the Ford Etis website if you get a newer Transit van. If you do fancy a newer Transit check for battery drain issues when the rear doors are left open or open and closed alot its not a wide spread problem but its one that I have and its a royal pain, thats my only gripe tbh. I recommend getting one with twin batteries to not have any draining issues.

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Post by Leveller2911 » Mon May 07, 2018 11:54 am

Over the years I've had Renault Trafic (90's model), Vauxhall Movano (2002 model) and Citroen Relay L2 H2 (2015 bought new). All van designs move with the times and all have their own issues . The Movano I had until 2015 and it was completely clear of rust and a really good van with the only issue I had was the air mass sensor going pop which cost just over £100 (iirc). The relay ,although a bit more "tinny" has much more power,comfort etc. The engines are bullet proof , they don't rust but the electrics can be suspect but touch wood as yet no problems.

If budgets are tight I would look for a low mileage relay, late reg if possible as they tend to have decent specs as standard compared to Movano's. When I bought mine, Vauxhall wanted stupid money for sat nav, reversing sensors etc which were all standard on the relay's. Having owned both I would have a relay over a Movano. I wouldn't entertain Mercs as they are complete rust buckets , Transits have a history of rusting badly but maybe the new stuff is ok. The main reason I didn't consider a transit was none of the dealers were interested in selling me one which I thought was a bit strange, maybe they were all having a bumper year and didn't give a toss .

promhandicam

Post by promhandicam » Tue May 08, 2018 8:39 pm

I'm on my second trafic lwb which I'm happy with and touch wood hasn't had any problems after 4 years and 50k miles. The lwb has the advantage of being able to get 8x4 sheets in standing up and 3m lengths in on an angle. I had the panel removed from the bulkhead which allows me to get a few 4.2m lengths of architrave or skirting in rather than strap it to the roof. When the time comes, as things stand, I'd get another.

simuk
Subscriber

Post by simuk » Fri May 18, 2018 9:39 pm

Thanks for all the replies and tips.