Oak tops and Undermount sinks

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
MJ80
Subscriber

Oak tops and Undermount sinks

Postby MJ80 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:58 pm

I'm doing my kitchen at the moment and had originally planned to do undermount ceramic sinks with drainer grooves in the Oak worktop. Style wise its a normal face frame affair....

Trying to get hold of an undermount sink at a reasonable price over here is pretty tough going and there is a limited selection. I have been looking into the normal top mount ceramic sinks but it is not really the look I wanted (its all quite modern and square or 1980's here), plus they are also quite expensive. The composite sinks are out cause I hate them.

So here is the quandary:
Do I suck it up and go with the under mount sink which in all likely hood I will order from the UK.
Order a top mount ceramic from the UK

Now it has been ages since I fitted an undermount in Oak and I never had any comebacks with them. I used to give them a few coats of osmo top oil before fitting and then after. I personally have never had to live with them as my own kitchens as I always did mine in Corian. How are they for maintenance and going black? I know this will apply to the top mount sinks as well, I have seen some horrific things round the edges with them over the years. I prefer the idea of undermount as it would be easier for sanding and oiling v. the manky edge on top mounted. We are pretty slack and with a pair of teenagers about I want fewer things to repair.

Any thoughts?

thekarter
Occasional Poster

Re: Oak tops and Undermount sinks

Postby thekarter » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:45 pm

I have in the passed and in my kitchen now used a top mount sink and under mounted it, I have never had a problem. One advantage is that you can under mount a sink with draining board which works far better than a routed out draining board in the oak. I'll try to post a photograph.
Alan

thekarter
Occasional Poster

Postby thekarter » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:04 pm

20190120_165035.jpg
20190120_165146.jpg
20190120_165146.jpg

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Postby Jonathan » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:09 pm

I've done quite a few undermount sinks with timber drainers in my time, if it's for a client I don't recomend a timber drainer for obvious reasons, but some(the purists type) insist.

All 3 homes that I've owned have had them.

The first was a double drainer in reclaimed canadian maple, finished in rusting plastic coating F......It needed plenty of maintenance and would not use plastic coating/ bar top lacquer again.

Second drainer I had was in reclaimed teak, easy to maintain, quick wipe with oil and your golden.

My present kitchen is in beach, the drainer started life 15 years ago with tung oil finish.....was great for the tops but not for the drainer, the usual black spots appearing ....so approximately 10 years ago I refinished the drainer in a good quality yacht varnish and its still good......the tops I now use osmo.

My 2cents worth would to be careful with oak and water....Oak will discolour.

I'm in the process of building a new house....I'm trying to persuade the wife to have granit tops and drainer with oak or teak island.

Regards burying a sink at a sensible price I understand where your comeing from , I'm in Spain and there a fortune here.....except the ikea offering....they do one that is a top mount at a sensible price.....it has a weard upstand that could be cut off and hidden by the undermount.....don't know where you are, so the above could be of no use.

Jonathan.

Tomyjoiner
Subscriber

Postby Tomyjoiner » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:49 pm

Cheap undermiunt sinks in screwfix

MJ80
Subscriber

Postby MJ80 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:23 pm

I forgot the nightmare we had with some beech tops years ago in out first place.
Its wierd here in Germany, all the sinks are quite architectural and from the obvious manufacturers, but the range seems to be limited to the market tastes compared to the UK. The idea of a face frame kitchen is quite alien. What seems to be on trend at here the moment is the high gloss with the dolkeen edging so it looks like a glass sheet. I can't remember what is is called but I used to get it from Panel Co, its the acrylic faced MDF.
I like thekarters solution seems to be the best of both worlds.
I'll have a look at the Ikea ones, though I think the castings were pretty rough last time I saw one. They have a quartz one which looks OK, but is it worth a trip to hell to find out. Anyone lived with a quartz one, I think they are bad for staining.

Return to “Woodworking”