Marks on wood door

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
hedw

Marks on wood door

Post by hedw » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:43 pm

Hi All,
I hope this is the right place to ask this sort of question...
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what these marks could be from. We had a wooden door made and fitted last week and I just noticed these black specks on one side of the door. They don't clean off but also don't look like they are part of the wood.
We had it fitted about a week ago and I don't know if they were there when the door was fitted and I just didn't notice or if they have developed since then. We do have the door next to a cooker, could it be anything from that?
Thanks in advance for any help!
Attachments
IMG_20190121_123328 (1).jpg

promhandicam

Re: Marks on wood door

Post by promhandicam » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:49 pm

welcome to the forum. could you post a picture of the door in situ showing the side where the marks are?

hedw

Post by hedw » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:51 am

Hi there,
Here is the full door. I should mention we are on a narrowboat though I don't think that is to blame for the marks.
You can't see in the picture but the marks are most concentrated on the middle of the door toward the hinge but also spread all over. The other side of the door seems to be fine.
I just don't know if the marks were always there and I didn't notice, or if they have developed since fitting.
Attachments
IMG_20190122_091840 (1).jpg

promhandicam

Post by promhandicam » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:45 pm

Thanks for posting the picture. One possibility is that they are caused by splashing or spitting from something on the cooker, although I think this is unlikely. Black specks on oak are usually due to contamination from ferrous metals - i.e. rubbing down the timber with wire wool before or while the finish is applied. Did you apply the finish to the doors or were they pre finished? I'd almost say that someone has used an angle grinder near the material and the black spots are specks of steel that have gone black after a few weeks - the tanin in the oak doesn't react immediately.

hedw

Post by hedw » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:49 am

Hi, thanks for your input. Yes I agree with you, it looks like something was used close to the door and debris (such as filings) flung onto it while it was being finished. We hired a carpenter to do the work so unfortunately I'm going to have to complain and see if anything can be done (having already paid him!).
Do you know of anything we could do to remove them if this is the case? Would sanding work?

katellwood
Occasional Poster

Post by katellwood » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:22 pm

oxalic acid powder (which you dissolve in warm water) or liberon wood bleacher (which is prepared oxalic acid)