Hanging Doors - Any Tips??

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
will1983

Hanging Doors - Any Tips??

Post by will1983 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:51 am

Hi all,

A customer wants me to hang some doors for her, a job I've done a few of before but they always seem to take me forever.

Does anyone have any tips tricks for getting faster at them?

There are going into existing frames and I'm using a track saw to cut them down to size.
Also using the small 1/4" router free hand to cut the hinge mortises and then tidying up with a chisel.

I seem to be losing the most amount of time just getting the bloody things to fit into the hole.

I am a bit of a perfectionist so have a tendency to be a bit over critical with how things fit. How good is good enough?

Cheers
Will
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
Cheshire Cats Workshop Website

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Re: Hanging Doors - Any Tips??

Post by Leveller2911 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:18 pm

Don't freehand hinge recesses with a router because it wil take to long. Make a hinge jig out of ply (preferably birch ply) or even better some Tufnol (more hard wearing if you intend to hang more doors,make windows and doors).

Reddiseals sell those rubber pads/cushions you can blow up and they are handy for putting under the door after you have trimmed to size , pump them up till you lift the doors to the right height.I have 2 and use them a fair bit when fitting doors,windows etc.

https://www.reddiseals.com/product/winbag/

Take off the old doors, measure the lining width (top,middle and bottom) trim/shoot in new door,mark hinges (3 per door) with a stanley knife, then mark each side of the hinges with a knife, clamp jig to door anr router all three hinges, chisel out corners, fit hinges and hang the door. Better to hang all doors on each floor and then go back and fit latches/lockes all at the same time and then adjust door stops as necessary.

I found that fitting each door including latch,handles etc wastes some time switching from hanging the door to fitting latches,handles etc.Better to swing a number of doors and then go back and fit the latches etc on all of those doors .

You can buy a Trend full height hinge jig (ie all 3 recesses on one jig)or similar but I've never felt the need. Hollow core doors I can hang 6 a day but firecheck doors ..................Not so many.. lol

promhandicam

Post by promhandicam » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:36 pm

If the old door fits nicely use it as a template.

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:28 pm

Unless the doors are hardwood I tend to cut the hinges out with a chisel, I find it quicker than setting up a router and messing about clamping a jig but that's just me. Using a router and jig is probably going to be the best option for most though.

If the door is oversized I tend to offer it up to the opening to see where it needs most taken off the door. I then mark the door with a pencil and make the door fit on both the top and hanging side so it will go in the hole.

I make the gap on the closing side fit correctly, but just at the bottom (I finish the upper edge on the closing side once the door is on it's hinges).

Stand the door in the hole and use a small ruler to to mark the top of all hinges across both door and frame.

Cut out your hinges on both door and frame then hang the door.

Finish shooting in the closing side and move on to the next door.

I tend to use a piece of door stop and mark the hinge spacing on it fit a block on it so it sits on the top of the door. Every door will have the hinges at the same position and all you need to do is transfer the marks over from the door to frame when in position (saves a bit of time).

One good tip given to me many years ago for speeding things up was to try to think about using your tools. Every time you pick up a tool then put it down you use time so try to use the tool fully before switching to another tool.

Mark

will1983

Post by will1983 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:10 pm

Thanks guys, some really useful stuff in there, especially that bit about using the tool for everything before you put it down.
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
Cheshire Cats Workshop Website