Advice on a Kitchen cabinet door - with divided panel

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
Jimbombim

Advice on a Kitchen cabinet door - with divided panel

Post by Jimbombim » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:46 pm

Hi,
I have been trying to work out the best way of making some additional doors for a kitchen update project, but I can't work out the best method of making the doors.

The doors have top and bottom rails, a stile either side, and a panel in middle. The central panel is two vertical pieces separated by a centre rail. However, the centre rail is set back from the face, in a recess, but when viewed from the back, the rail is flush with the top/bottom stiles.

I can't see any of the possible housing groves, and there is nothing obvious top/bottom in the recess in front of the centre rail, between the two panels.

Some advice or help on working out the best option for making some more of these doors that allow for any movement, would be greatly appreciated.

The door handle is just planted on the front and screwed on from the back, so that does not affect any of the joinery.

Please see the attached images of the front & back of a door.

Regards,
Jimbombim
Attachments
Front.jpg
Back.jpg
Jimbombim
Always learning Joinery & Carpentry

9fingers
Subscriber

Re: Advice on a Kitchen cabinet door - with divided panel

Post by 9fingers » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:25 am

I'm struggling to see quite what the difficulty is apart from having to make the reference face the back of the door rather than the front.
Something like 7-8 mm groove in all parts, tongues on rails and divider and floating solid wood panels or maybe veneered mdf.
Bob
Information on induction motors and inverters here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jimbombim

Post by Jimbombim » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:30 pm

Normally, the central million would be grooved, but on the front of these doors the central divider is set back from the 2 panels - there doesn't seem to be any room for movement in the panels either side?
Jimbombim

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:50 am

Looking at the door and panel arrangement it appears that the middle mullion is there to cover the gap made by the central groove between the panel.

You could possibly obtain the same effect by simply applying a groove to the panel before assembly and doing away with the mullion.

1. You could make a panel from MDF, with a central strip of hardwood.
2. MDF-Hardwood strip -MDF.
3. Glue the three parts of the panel together and veneer the surface both sides.
4. Your panel would be MDF-Hardwood strip-MDF, use a router to groove the central strip of hardwood so you obtain the same visual effect as your current doors (Central set back groove).
Assemble door as per BoB's instructions except do away with the mullion.

It's a bit of an odd set up so if necessary make the panel thicker to allow for the grooving. You may have to make your doors slightly thicker to allow for a thicker panel with groove.

The above is just an idea to think about, there are probably better ways to achieve the same result but it's an idea all the same.

Mark

Jimbombim

Post by Jimbombim » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:43 am

Thanks very much for the replies.
I will take another visit to the client & take a closer look & hope something pops out at me that I might have missed on first look.

Or make a subtle change for the extra doors!

Cheers.
Jimbombim