stair spindles

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
nolly47

stair spindles

Postby nolly47 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:06 pm

Hi All
Need help and advice regarding stairs
I am going to fit cast iron spindles to stairs and I don’t want them to rattle my questions are
How do I fix the spindles and the pieces of wood that separates the spindles in the groves of base rail & hand rail, cascamite, mastic or what?
Do I also nail or panel pin the pieces of wood that separates the spindles while the above goes off?

Many thanks

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Re: stair spindles

Postby Meccarroll » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:34 am

On site we don't usually use much adhesive just pin the strips between the spindles with panel pins and a small drop of PVA glue. You can put a small flat on the tip of the panel pin by tapping it with a hammer first. Flatting the pin tip helps to prevent splitting the small strip. If you wanted to you could use a small drop of mastic adhesive on the top and bottom of the spindle to prevent any possibility of rattle. Most woods don't shrink much in their length so provided the strips fit tightly between the spindles you should not really have a problem but the drop of mastic should cure any possibility of rattle occurring.

For the bottom strips you could just use glue to fix them in place that way you avoid unsightly pin holes if using hardwoods. I did it that way in my own house and they have stayed good for over 19 years. A lot will depend upon how carefully you fit the spindles, take your time to make all the joints fit nicely and you will achieve good results.

Mark

JonR
Occasional Poster

Re: stair spindles

Postby JonR » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:33 pm

We use abit of glue and a micro pinner for the fillet, on occasion used mitre bond to glue the fillet in place easier if you dont have a brad nailer and less chance of putting dinks in the wood hammering pins in. As Mark said a dab of mastic top and bottom to stop any rattles after abit of shrinkage over time.

Return to “Woodworking”