Guidance on pricing window repairs please

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
Meccarroll
Subscriber

Guidance on pricing window repairs please

Post by Meccarroll » Wed May 15, 2019 9:04 am

Hi all I have been mainly working on site (Day work so not priced) for about three years and got totally out of pricing joinery repairs.

I have been asked to price for some window repairs see pics below:

1. First one is a single glazed storm proof sash. Looks like the cill needs replacing and two jambs need splicing. Glass is putty in so may break with removal. I think this would be cheaper to repair than replace as a replacement would entail a top hung sash etc. Any ideas on how much for this one?

2. Second repair is of a curved conservatory framework with sashes and cill woodwork.
First pic is looking at the lower framework. I think it needs two sections of curved cill, two fixed sashes and some splice repairs to three uprights of the framework. The mould is individual but I can make this in my workshop.
Knife inserted in cill to test depth of rot.

Last picture is od the inside showing how the framework is jointed together on an angle.

Any ideas on pricing for the above? Conservatory repairs.

3. Finally an old favourite of the forum a narrow Sliding Sash Window in quite a sorry state. I have repaired a lot like this in the past but not for a quite a few years.
I think this can repaired but the bottom would need to be replaced with new bottom sash.
So:
New bottom sash
New cill
New box sides (may just need slider and front sections)
New parting beads
New Front beads (external)

I don't know if you can see but there is a bead fillet between the brickwork and frame instead of the traditional cement/putty fillet.

Again any advice on current pricing would be appreciated. I live in a semi-rural location which is not great for obtaining top notch prices and the customer is quite conscious about keeping the cost down.

I was maybe thinking 1.£300, 2.£800 3.£500 Total £1600

Many thank's Mark

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Re: Guidance on pricing window repairs please

Post by Leveller2911 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:02 pm

First one is a complete new window frame,You can see its already had a new cill front fitted so you can bet the posts are rot too and messing around splicing it is a waste of time and money on a very simple frame.

The box-frame is also a complete new window but the others you could splice repair and make new sashes which might keep it going for a few more years..................When you think about it the boxframe needs a new cill, splice pulley stiles,splice outside linings,new bottom sash so you might as well run out complete lengths and make a complete new Box-frame window. Cost is always a factor mate but there comes a time when the clients need to put their hands in their pockets and pay for a proper job.

Personally I think its new Joinery all round or walk away............... Just my penneth worth Mark.

JonR
Occasional Poster

Post by JonR » Wed May 15, 2019 9:52 pm

I would massively swerve that one, i am done with polishing turds personally but if it had to be it would be on day work with a guestimate on time given. Other than that i am with Leveller.

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Post by Jonathan » Thu May 16, 2019 6:30 am

I would only do splicing on a historical / listed building.....my guess is if you did the job to help the client out you would get no thanks and the job would be a pain for both you and the client........sadly, looking at the photos I guess if you priced to replace the windows in timber the client would find someone to to it for half the cost in upvc
If I was going to give the client a price for replacing in timber I would discuss a budget......that way you save your time pricing a job that will never happen.

Jonathan

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Sun May 19, 2019 10:36 am

I'm 100% with the above comments. Once you get stuck in, you'll find more and more rot.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Mon May 20, 2019 7:26 pm

Leveller2911 wrote:First one is a complete new window frame,
The box-frame is also a complete new window but the others you could splice repair and make new sashes...... Cost is always a factor mate but there comes a time when the clients need to put their hands in their pockets and pay for a proper job.
Well you are right Leveller but I know the customer from old and I did a lot of repair work on other windows for them about 10 years ago that is holding out well so trying to persuade them to replace rather than repair might not work with this customer LoL.

I will quote for a complete storm proof window, as you say it's probably the best option in the long run. The difference between a complete new sliding sash window and repair might be a difficult one with this customer as I have done some extensive repairs before that worked out a lot cheaper for the customer but I know you are right in what you say, there comes a time!.

Could you give a bit of guidance on pricing in a conservative manner, the customer did give me a lot of work, and a few leads, when times were hard so I don't really want to loose him.

Thank you also to Jonathan, JonR and of course Roger. I know you Chaps are all correct in what you are saying but I don't want to loose this customer and am probably willing to to compromise a bit but some guidance on pricing would help me no end.

This is a window I repaired in 2009 (ten years ago for the same customer!) and the last picture I took just a couple of days ago, of course it's a lot of hard work and time in the repairs so worth considering options of repair and new, I just want to try and get the pricing right.
Window in need of extensive repairs (Ten years ago):

The window today after ten years:

Mark