Cracked Mortise

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
Mark-J

Cracked Mortise

Postby Mark-J » Mon May 27, 2019 9:31 am

I was glueing up and I noticed the top of one of my workbench legs has two cracks that start from the mortise as shown in the pic.

I think it occurred when I was clamping, so it happened right at the end :(

My workbench will have six legs so I can position that leg in the far right corner away from me (as seen in the pic), and there will be a bearer going on top of all the legs, but I was wondering if there was something else I should do.

Do I need to be concerned about this, should I strengthen it and if so, what is the prefered method in doing so?

Thanks all

Mike Jordan
Occasional Poster

Re: Cracked Mortise

Postby Mike Jordan » Tue May 28, 2019 9:04 am

I obviously haven't seen any details of your bench construction so I am forced to make a few assumptions. The only way of improving the joint might be to drill a couple of dowels through the M & T joint, I assume that you are planning to fasten an apron to the front face (and hopefully the back) of the bench deep enough to prevent the structure moving out of square in use. If so the loss of strength in one leg shouldn't be critical. Judging by the width of those growth rings you have been sold some pine of minimal quality, unfortunately we all start out without the depth of knowledge to make the best decisions on materials and suppliers.
My own workbench was made from timber that my late father had earmarked for firewood! It's so far lasted 49 years and seen lots of work so don't worry to much about the odd crack.

Mark-J

Postby Mark-J » Tue May 28, 2019 9:48 am

Thanks for the reply Mike, much appreciated.

Yes, there'll be an apron front and back. I was thinking of affixing a metal plate across the tenon facing side.

Mike Jordan
Occasional Poster

Postby Mike Jordan » Tue May 28, 2019 9:57 am

I can't see it doing any harm.
Mike.

Return to “Woodworking”