Squares

Discuss hand tools here, its quieter and less dusty than the other sections.
davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Squares

Postby davidpidge » Wed May 20, 2015 8:19 pm

I need recommendations for makers/suppliers of a decent large try square and combination square. I know this is a classic you-get-what-you-pay-for thing but I just need 'square' not '£1000, space shuttle engineering square'! I want an all metal try square that's at least 300mm. All the decent used ones are battered and still asking too much on ebay etc. I've put up with rubbish marking out tools foor too long.
Recently got a veritas wheel marking gauge. It's a joy compared to the old pin marking gauges.

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Re: Squares

Postby davidpidge » Wed May 20, 2015 9:01 pm

Price wise I want to spend around £50 on a square. Everything I've seen for less has been better use as a mitre gauge!

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Wed May 20, 2015 10:45 pm

I think that for a decent (moore and wright) grade b square, that size, you are going to be looking at more like £75 - £80. For a good quality combination square again moore and wright or starrett - but again they aren't cheap. I've got one of these (I think) which isn't bad - http://www.axminster.co.uk/fisco-53me-heavy-duty-combination-square

mickthetree
Occasional Poster

Postby mickthetree » Thu May 21, 2015 9:10 am

The Fisco heavy duty is a substantial casting. I find with combination squares, the part that always wears is the knurled tightening knob, which then causes the ruler to not lock securely, loosing accuracy.

Its 9" not 12" but there is the trend tri-square:

http://www.trend-uk.com/en/UK/product/M ... roved.html

Or get a 6" moore and wright (or longer) and keep it as a reference square only (locked in a cupboard) and check / adjust all of your other squares from that.

HTH

almorris

Postby almorris » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:14 pm

Support trend-uk too! A good decision anyway!

robgil

Postby robgil » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:44 pm

Are you saying that cheap squares might not be square.

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:33 pm

you know you can "square" up on out of square .Square !
Just a center punch and an ommer

how accurate do you need it to be ? .. is it wood work ?
Wood isn't that square !

mrtomgraham

Postby mrtomgraham » Wed May 03, 2017 10:06 pm

My tuppence worth: Empire combination squares are good value for money. I have one in my site box. 300mm and all metric! All metric was a revelation to me way back when I first got one. Measure from either end, either side. I can't believe we've been lumbered with dual increments for so long... choose your camp! Same goes for tape measures too.

My nicer square is a second hand Moore and Wright with a £35 or so Starrett blade. Also the more expensive 600mm one too. Squaring an out-of-square square is a simple matter of a few very light passes with a needle file inside the body of the square on one side or other of the locking spindle (which simply pulls the blade down against these faces). Test by drawing a pencil line one way then flipping the square to draw over the same line with the square the other way (off the same edge that is) and see if the lines are on top of each other. It's not precision engineering but should be good for most woodworking.

Return to “Hand Tools”