Water based spray paint and hand finish

Everything you need to know about finishing.
Meccarroll
Subscriber

Water based spray paint and hand finish

Postby Meccarroll » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:43 pm

Hi all,

I am making a bed and some bedroom furniture and thinking of using a sprayable water based paint for the finish. I'd ideally like to be able to spray the first coats then finish the final coat with a brush. Just wondered if anyone could advise which paint I could use.

I normally use Acid Cat paint sprayed on but would like to avoid the formaldehyde content so thought water based might be an alternative this time. I also think the apperance a mild brush finish on final coat might look better for the furniture than a super smooth spray finish.

Thanks' in advance.

Mark

york33
Subscriber

Re: Water based spray paint and hand finish

Postby york33 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:56 pm

I use Morrells waterborne range for most of my spray finishing. I don't make a habit of brushing but I did do some of my own cabinet doors with a brush. Largely because I forgot to do the final coat in the workshop, rather than consciously choosing! It worked, looks good, but you do need to be quick I found............

Dave

JonR
Occasional Poster

Postby JonR » Mon May 01, 2017 9:32 pm

I made these last year and did the finishes with a decorator mate, they where spray primed with Morrelles waterbourne primer then a sprayed 1st colour coat of Dulux diamond matt(water based) with 20% floetrol added and a bit of water added too 10% i think then after install we top coated with just the Floetrol added and applied with a 4" flock roller and layed off with a good quality synthetic brush. Very nice finish indeed :D

https://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/product/floetrol/

Hope that helps.

murdoch

Postby murdoch » Tue May 02, 2017 9:11 pm

We finish our kitchens using a water based, scratch resistant paint from Movac. It's really good, spray first coat. Denib then spray second coat quickly laying off with a brush. Don't bother with Morrells as it's terrible for a brush finish.

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Fri May 05, 2017 7:31 pm

york33 wrote:I use Morrells waterborne range for most of my spray finishing. I don't make a habit of brushing but I did do some of my own cabinet doors with a brush. Largely because I forgot to do the final coat in the workshop, rather than consciously choosing! It worked, looks good, but you do need to be quick I found............

Dave

Thank you for the suggestion, It sounds like I might not be quick enough on the brush though :(

Mark

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Fri May 05, 2017 7:34 pm

JonR wrote:Image

I made these last year and did the finishes with a decorator mate, they where spray primed with Morrelles waterbourne primer then a sprayed 1st colour coat of Dulux diamond matt(water based) with 20% floetrol added and a bit of water added too 10% i think then after install we top coated with just the Floetrol added and applied with a 4" flock roller and layed off with a good quality synthetic brush. Very nice finish indeed :D

https://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/product/floetrol/

Hope that helps.

Wow, they look stunning. I bet the customer was pleased as punch.

Thank you for the detailed information, I will look into the paint you suggest.

Mark

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Fri May 05, 2017 7:38 pm

murdoch wrote:We finish our kitchens using a water based, scratch resistant paint from Movac. It's really good, spray first coat. Denib then spray second coat quickly laying off with a brush. Don't bother with Morrells as it's terrible for a brush finish.

Cheers Murdoch, I have obtained some of the paint you mention. Can I ask which manufacturer of brush you use, the reason I ask is I believe it can make a big difference to the final look.

Mark

ftacarpentry
Subscriber

Postby ftacarpentry » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:18 pm

Sorry to chime in... I've a very similar job coming up and have also been recommended Movac. Is the paint you're talking about 'Sayerlac'?

Ta!

Return to “Finishing”