Bamboo Kitchen Worktop Help

Everything you need to know about finishing.
paulphoenix

Bamboo Kitchen Worktop Help

Postby paulphoenix » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:46 pm

Hi Guys/Gals,

I'm obviously a bit of a woodworking dunce (hence my post) and would appreciate a little help/guidance/general pointing in the right direction please.

My bamboo kitchen worktop is a few years old so i thought i'd strip back the existing danish oil (applied by me to the brand new worktops when installing the kitchen), sand it down and reapply some fresh oil to put some "wow" back into my kitchen work surface so,

I used 0000 wire wool to remove most of existing surface oil finish, then an orbital sander with 320 grit to remove blemishes, stains and a few small nicks and scrapes before hand sanding the tricky areas not within reach of a 125mm dia sanding pad and then wiped down the whole area with white spirit to degrease the surfaces.

I then applied a fresh batch of rustins (i think) danish oil as per the instructions on the can (with the grain/lint free cloth etc.etc.), but my worktop has been left with a glossy (more like a varnished), sticky finish when i was expecting the oil to soak in more and leave a smooth matt (?) finish with a rich colour.

where did i go wrong (other than attempting this myself?!! ha ha haa!)

was my prep to blame or was it poor application?

thanks in advance

woodsmith
Subscriber

Re: Bamboo Kitchen Worktop Help

Postby woodsmith » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:31 am

Sounds like you have put too much oil on. Even though you have sanded the worktop it would still be sealed as the oil will have soaked into a depth and it would only need a few very thin coats to refinish it.

I'd remove the finish you have just applied then re-coat but this time apply a small amount of oil and then straight away rub it over with a clean lint free cloth until it is more or less dry to the touch. Repeat the next day, and subsequent days, until you have an even sheen.

If you want a more Matt finish you could use Osmo Top oil which is a bit flatter than Danish oil.
Keith

Tomyjoiner
Subscriber

Re: Bamboo Kitchen Worktop Help

Postby Tomyjoiner » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:29 pm

When i put danish oil on my first coat is thinned down with turps to soak in then the next few coats i put on leave, then wipe off excess. Make sure its not an old tin aswell.

Return to “Finishing”