table finish.

Everything you need to know about finishing.
Tomyjoiner
Subscriber

table finish.

Postby Tomyjoiner » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:48 pm

IMG_4775.JPG

I've just made this for a mate last weekend, box section frame and oak top an they are going to finish it themselves. Trick of the lite, makes it look very different but its not.
Anyway by coincidence went to look at a job at a kids outdoors centre on tuesday an they showed me a picture of of a table and bench exactly the same as I've just made, so they were well chuffed but don't want oak( too much) 15 tables and 36 benches. Ive given them prices for R/W, poplar and idigbo all with a light(ish) oak stain. Question is whats the best finish for the tables, bearing in mind they will be abused and maybe need a re-finish sometime in their usable life, Lacquer, Cosmo??? any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks all.
Tomy

promhandicam

Re: table finish.

Postby promhandicam » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:20 pm

I used osmo polyx on these oak refectory tables and benches that I refurbished for a local boarding school.

Bearing in mind that they get washed down 3 times a day, 7 days a week for probably 40 weeks, they held up pretty well. I did slap another coat of osmo on after 2 years as they were beginning to show signs of use. From memory I did one coat of osmo cognac wood wax then one coat of polyx.

Return to “Finishing”