Wood filler

Everything you need to know about finishing.
DIY Stew

Wood filler

Postby DIY Stew » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:13 am

I intend to make a small table with Maple, because of the design (not my design, may I add) I will be connecting the legs with pocket screws and glue, I anticipate even when plugged the pocket holes may still be visible.
I've read somewhere (possibly Pinterest) that the best way to make a colour match filler is by mixing sawdust from the project with clear shellac, has anyone tried this, does it work, and if so, where can I purchase clear shallac?
Stew
Edit. The 'customer' wants an oil finish, I'll probably use osmo polyx.

tusses
Subscriber

Re: Wood filler

Postby tusses » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:24 pm

surely the pocket holes will be on the inside , and so , not seen ?

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:18 pm

You used to be able to buy kreg plugs - might be worth a Google. If not then get some maple dowel and cut it down to make your own plugs.

DIY Stew

Postby DIY Stew » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:45 am

tusses wrote:surely the pocket holes will be on the inside , and so , not seen ?

That's right, but the 'client' (sister-in-law) will examine the table from every angle.
promhandicam wrote:You used to be able to buy kreg plugs - might be worth a Google. If not then get some maple dowel and cut it down to make your own plugs.

I intend to make some dowels out of the same boards, I have done this before but there was still a visible line where the dowel fitted, albeit a very small line, as I said before, she will look for faults rather than praise anyone for a job well done!
Stew

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:50 am

Use Wenge plugs and tell her it's a feature!

DIY Stew

Postby DIY Stew » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:00 pm

promhandicam wrote:Use Wenge plugs and tell her it's a feature!

:lol:
I've got some Mahogany and that did cross my mind!
Stew

woodsmith
Subscriber

Postby woodsmith » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:19 am

You could get a pocket hole plug cutter and make your own plugs, that way it should be more or less invisible. Filler is always a bodge, if you get it to match at the start as soon as the wood ages the filler will stand out like a beacon. If your client is going to be ridiculously picky I would tell them to find someone else to make it; as you are only going to get grief either way.
Keith

Return to “Finishing”