A glance at my 6x4m shed/workshop plans?

From Sketchup to pencil and paper, discuss your design and development ideas here.
DBT85

A glance at my 6x4m shed/workshop plans?

Postby DBT85 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:05 am

I've been learning Sketchup for the last couple of days and so had a play at creating a shed/workshop to go in my garden. I just wondered if someone can have a look at the plan and tell me what I've done wrong in the realms of shed construction, as it's something I've never really looked at before.

The attached sketchup file is all set out in layers so each part can be turned on or off. (File removed by admin)

A few notes:

The framing is all at 610mm centres, but I'm fairly sure should be at 600mm or 450mm.
Its been done in 50 x 75mm timber for all the framing, 18mm ply for the floor, 18mm OSB for the interior walls, 11mm OSB for the ceiling and roof.

I can provide more pics if needed!

Thanks a bundle

EDIT: First post here. Moving to a new house on a farm soon with loads of space, so can finally have some room do explore woodworking!

promhandicam

Re: A glance at my 6x4m shed/workshop plans?

Postby promhandicam » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:10 am

Welcome to the forum. Just to let you know that I have removed the attached zip file from your post - I'm sure it was ok, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:21 am

If you're using OSB then 610 centres is correct as the sheet size is 1220 X 2440mm. You will need some noggins, and for that sort of size I'd use 4x2 for the studs and probably 6x2 for the rafters. Also 18mm ply for the roof. What are you going to clad it with? Don't forget a vapour barrier and insulation if you want to use it as a workshop. If you are building this on a concrete slab, then you could do away with the floor and just lay 1 or 2 courses of bricks round the perimeter and put your sole plate on that to keep it clear of the ground.

DBT85

Postby DBT85 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:40 pm

Thanks for sorting it out. I can totally understand the zip file being removed.

I did think that 610mm would be ideal for sheet materials that come in 1220x2440mm which is why I went with it initially. It was only after trying to find out more info about such things that I kept seeing 450mm and 600mm centres as suggested options, though that's mostly been for stud walls that need to be plasterboarded since those sheets come in 1200x2400mm.

For the noggins, would you suggest a couple in every gap, or just for certain parts of the framing?

I was going to change the design to use 100x50mm for the roof rafters in part to allow me to put 50mm of insulation in there and still leave a ventilation gap above. After having a bit of a look at some span tables 200x50 or 175x75 is going to have to be used really.

Also I'd figured I might put 24/25mm ply down for the floor instead of the 18mm, but I'll upgrade the roof to 18mm too.

I'd thought about using 18mm T&G cladding though I'd not got any further on what particular type.

Regarding the vapour barrier, would that go on the framework before the cladding goes on, or would it go on the inside over the top of the insulation and under the OSB to be put on the walls?

I'm assuming if I did do away with the wooden floor and built a couple of bricks up to put the sole plate on that the plate would need to be anchored down to the brick? I wouldn't have thought it would need it if it had a wooden floor since the floor framework will keep everything together.

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Postby rhrwilliams » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:03 pm

You would usually strap the wall plate / sole plate down to the brickwork with wall straps (they are stainless steel or galvanised fixings) to stop it moving about.... http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p82881? ... PhwSkSJAAm

I don't see the point in a vapour barrier, your probably better to use a breather membrane like Tyvec or something like that under the cladding. You would usually use a Vapour barrier and breather membrane in domestic modern timber frame construction where you have a cavity and are concerned about intersistual condensation etc

Just use 2 - 3 noggins per gap. It will keep the spacings even and give it extra strength. If you are putting OSB internally this will give it lots of strength and the noggins will be really just to get the spacings right.

DBT85

Postby DBT85 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:29 pm

Thanks for the info!

Workshop mk2 is well into the design stage with some tips picked up from here and another forum. I've even gone so far as to start on the sums for the costing of it all which isn't looking too bad at the moment.

I'll probably end up going for planning permission just to have a 3m high roof to give me some more headroom inside. Shouldn't be a problem considering the location.

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:18 pm

I doubt you'd need planning permission - have you looked here? http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/outbuildings/miniguide

Perhaps not quite what you are planning on building, but this Work In Progress thread I did a while ago may answer some of your questions. http://www.woodworkuk.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10415

DBT85

Postby DBT85 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:32 pm

Hi Steve,

I have indeed looked on the planning portal. 3m is the maximum allowed height for a flat roof, however if the building is within 2 meters of the boundary then the entire building should not exceed 2.5m in height.

I'll have to have a measure up, if building it 2m from the boundary is possible (it might be, its a large garden) then I can go to 3m high with no issue. If not then the only way to do so officially would be to get planning permission first. In my instance the nearest neighbour is 300 yards away so it wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the link, I'll have a read with interest. I already love the boarding you used though on a 6x4m shop the cost might be prohibitive at £25 a sqm.

Useful to see the slab/brick base you mentioned earlier too.

Thrawn

Postby Thrawn » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:32 am

Hi. Isn't the 610 c/c going to mess with insulation dimensions? That is, if you're having insulation of course.

Also, I take it you've decided against jack studs for the door?

What's the fall? 1:40 is preferred.

If it makes it easier, you don't need level top plates for the side walls.

Return to “Design/Development”